Author Topic: Volt info/review (best deal on VM at the moment)  (Read 2839 times)

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Volt info/review (best deal on VM at the moment)
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Seeing as this is the best deal on VM at the moment, especially for sub $200 phones (I paid $99 for mine), I figured a few should know what they are getting.

First off the Volt is a really nice phone.

I went from a Galaxy S3 to this and honestly, the quality is pretty good. They also look REALLY similar when viewed head on, just as Samsung cloned the Iphone on another phone, this phone pretty much clones the S3. At a glance, you would swear they were the same. The screen protectors are even close. The sides are a bit different and the button layout is opposite, the LG is also not nearly as slippery, having a textured back. Considering how many times my S3 went flying after slipping out of my fingers, that's not a bad thing.

There are few things to be wary of, nothing terrible, just annoyances and most of them happen when you first start setting the phone up. There are a TON of things that will popup asking permissions while you set this phone up, if you are frustrated, having a bad day or just in a bad mood, put this phone away and deal with it another time. I'm serious. There is also a LOT of bloatware downloaded to it once as you are setting it up. My advice is to remove the junk, in fact remove every bit of software you can from this phone. Including Connections Optimizer, which I found to be a huge battery waster.

Other caveats... For the average user? Actually, no. It seems to be a good, solid phone. It could use a bit more ram, bit more storage, but for the money, it's darn nice once you get it setup how you like it and remove the boat. You can go days between charges, it's fast, smooth, has some nice features, and just generally a pleasure to work with. They even let you avoid using Hangouts!

For root users, there are some VERY serious gotchas.
First a warning, if you want to root, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE, I'll explain in a bit.

If you like to tinker, find another phone. Go buy an S3 or used Evo V if you want to tinker, both are better supported, easier to mess with, and in most cases, easy to repair when you mess up. This phone, while easy to fix, presents some serious issues if you want to tinker. It's taken a few days for me to get over the trauma of rooting this phone, it's a mess. I almost took it back 3 times and by the time I was done, I was swearing off LG for good. However, the phone really is good otherwise.

If you want to root it however, it can be done, you can even install a rom. This is where things get really frustrating.
Unfortunately, the boot loader is locked AND, so far all attempts to install a permanent recovery has failed. LG have gotten real good at locking things down (JERKS!). If you installed the update you have to do a complete system restore and start over. Then you can root easily, if that's all you want, great! However if you want the update your work is not done. You have to type in a pretty long string to wipe part of the phone, which allows you to fastboot, then you can temporarily run CWM recovery, which allows you to install a rom of the new system, minus boot partition, and then you can install the updated modem, which knocks out root. Since you didn't install the boot portion, you can easily re-root.  At which point, you have almost entirely up to date. You could redo the partition wipe and fastboot to CWM and again install the boot image, but if it wipes out root, and it can, you have to go back to the beginning and start over with a wipe.

That being said, it's a fantastic phone otherwise and I'm quite happy with it, I just wish it hadn't taken 9 hours to get it how I wanted it and would prefer having access to a recovery where I could make a backup.

Sean O'Gorman

• View Profile
Re: Volt info/review (best deal on VM at the moment)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:01:08 AM »
Have you tried the Hydro Vibe yet?  Radio Shack was selling them for $60, so after a brief comeback of my dormant Optimus V went bad (it would have been fine if I could have run the Uber Driver app on 2.3) I picked one up and I've been pretty happy so far, minus the lack of community involvement.  It actually checks off more requirements on my list than the Nexus 4, LG G2, and OnePlus One that I've owned over the past 2 years on T-Mobile.

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »
It being Kyocera made me reconsider it, only because they aren't really much of a player in Android. Granted, that can be a good thing, since they aren't as likely to mess with things, but still. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty nice phone, at least on paper.  I also prefer a physical home button.

chucksaysblah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
Seeing as this is the best deal on VM at the moment, especially for sub $200 phones (I paid $99 for mine), I figured a few should know what they are getting.

First off the Volt is a really nice phone.

I went from a Galaxy S3 to this and honestly, the quality is pretty good. They also look REALLY similar when viewed head on, just as Samsung cloned the Iphone on another phone, this phone pretty much clones the S3. At a glance, you would swear they were the same. The screen protectors are even close. The sides are a bit different and the button layout is opposite, the LG is also not nearly as slippery, having a textured back. Considering how many times my S3 went flying after slipping out of my fingers, that's not a bad thing.

There are few things to be wary of, nothing terrible, just annoyances and most of them happen when you first start setting the phone up. There are a TON of things that will popup asking permissions while you set this phone up, if you are frustrated, having a bad day or just in a bad mood, put this phone away and deal with it another time. I'm serious. There is also a LOT of bloatware downloaded to it once as you are setting it up. My advice is to remove the junk, in fact remove every bit of software you can from this phone. Including Connections Optimizer, which I found to be a huge battery waster.

Other caveats... For the average user? Actually, no. It seems to be a good, solid phone. It could use a bit more ram, bit more storage, but for the money, it's darn nice once you get it setup how you like it and remove the boat. You can go days between charges, it's fast, smooth, has some nice features, and just generally a pleasure to work with. They even let you avoid using Hangouts!

For root users, there are some VERY serious gotchas.
First a warning, if you want to root, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE, I'll explain in a bit.

If you like to tinker, find another phone. Go buy an S3 or used Evo V if you want to tinker, both are better supported, easier to mess with, and in most cases, easy to repair when you mess up. This phone, while easy to fix, presents some serious issues if you want to tinker. It's taken a few days for me to get over the trauma of rooting this phone, it's a mess. I almost took it back 3 times and by the time I was done, I was swearing off LG for good. However, the phone really is good otherwise.

If you want to root it however, it can be done, you can even install a rom. This is where things get really frustrating.
Unfortunately, the boot loader is locked AND, so far all attempts to install a permanent recovery has failed. LG have gotten real good at locking things down (JERKS!). If you installed the update you have to do a complete system restore and start over. Then you can root easily, if that's all you want, great! However if you want the update your work is not done. You have to type in a pretty long string to wipe part of the phone, which allows you to fastboot, then you can temporarily run CWM recovery, which allows you to install a rom of the new system, minus boot partition, and then you can install the updated modem, which knocks out root. Since you didn't install the boot portion, you can easily re-root.  At which point, you have almost entirely up to date. You could redo the partition wipe and fastboot to CWM and again install the boot image, but if it wipes out root, and it can, you have to go back to the beginning and start over with a wipe.

That being said, it's a fantastic phone otherwise and I'm quite happy with it, I just wish it hadn't taken 9 hours to get it how I wanted it and would prefer having access to a recovery where I could make a backup.

Glad to see you picked this phone up leslie.... Too bad the boot loader is locked up tight huh? but the lg g3 guys are working on something called bump. Hopefully they will release the way they do it so we can bump a recovery to our phone and flash roms other than the stock one. Not that the stock rom is lacking at all. I do however recomend do the restore method I posted as it helps out considerably with multi tasking. As the stoick rom is unbranded and has no VM bloat.

Sean O'Gorman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »
It being Kyocera made me reconsider it, only because they aren't really much of a player in Android. Granted, that can be a good thing, since they aren't as likely to mess with things, but still. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty nice phone, at least on paper.  I also prefer a physical home button.

Yeah, it has some skinning and bloatware, and almost none of it can be disabled.  At first I was bummed there's no known root methods for 4.4.2 and no ROMs for it, but as I use my phone as an Uber driver (yay finding the APK before it's been released in my city!), and they block the use of the app on rooted phones, I'm probably better off staying stock.  I just don't expect 5.0.  Battery life is on par or better than my G2, and that had 1000 more mah!