Author Topic: Root and remain stock? OTA?  (Read 1410 times)

Master Gowa

• View Profile
Root and remain stock? OTA?
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »
I just ordered my Dad a Nexus 7 for Christmas.  I don't know if I want to put a custom rom on it yet.  I think I want him to get used to stock android first.  If I simply root it (just so it can run apps that want SU access) but remain stock and don't change rom or recovery or anything else...  would it still be good for recieving OTA updates?  Or does just gaining root alone destroy that ability?

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Root and remain stock? OTA?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
My experience has been this...
If you stay stock, backing up is a hassle, but you get updates and if things go bad, you just do a factory refresh and start over.
If you only root, you can get updates, however, it is easy to mess up the system, and you can't simply just install a fresh rom.
If you root and put a recovery, you can't get updates, but you can easily re-flash a rom when things go wrong.

I have used all 3, and personally, I really felt unsafe using root but no recovery. In fact it was while doing this that I had the hardest time fixing any issues. Staying completely stock is attractive, but there is sooo many flakey advertisements that ruin the experience that I really dislike not having root so I can run adblock and on phones. If I'm going to root, I would rather just go all out.

cammykool

• Developer
  • Resident idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
I would say flash the modaco ROM being a N7 owner 4.2 stock was buggy as hell but MoDaCo did 4.2 right

EDIT: Dammit Leslie you ninja'd me!

[nonexistant One V userbar here]

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
 ;D