Author Topic: 32GB Flash Drive = Local Disk  (Read 1809 times)

Curiousnoob

• View Profile
32GB Flash Drive = Local Disk
« on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »
I have a 32GB Cruzer Glide and my Laptop reads it as a 32GB external hard drive instead of a Removable Disk.

Is it the USB, or my Laptop?

DattKiddKFC

• View Profile
Re: 32GB Flash Drive = Local Disk
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
I could be wrong but maybe it reads it like that because it's so big?
<I'm just a kid and I'll always be just a kid.>

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 32GB Flash Drive = Local Disk
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »
I meant to look into this before and forgot about it.

There is a software switch inside flash drives that tells the computer if it's an external drive or removable disk.
This change came about because of Windows 8 certification (Windows2go requires it), once again you can thank MS for screwing over standardization.

As a result, some bootable drive creators no longer work and Windows 7 and earlier systems will not take notice of the drives removal, which is why I was getting phantom drives for a while (I have a ton of thumbdrives). Some manufacturers offer a tool to flip the switch, others have had luck using various drive tools. Newer bootable drive tools work just fine without changing anything, however this doesn't fix the phantom drive.

I think I managed to remove that whole system by formatting with a Linux format, which removed that special setting, then reformatting with Win7 to NTFS or Fat32, however I can't confirm that until I find out which of my drives are still formatted that way, and like I said, I have a lot of drives.

Curiousnoob

• View Profile
Re: Re: 32GB Flash Drive = Local Disk
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
I could be wrong but maybe it reads it like that because it's so big?
Worked on the first one I had. I just decided to get another one since the first one broke on me :/

@Leslieann, If I understand what you're saying, I guess I'll try and see what happens. That is, if I understand :p

I couldn't get Ubuntu to format anything last week when I needed to clean multiple drives. Had to delete files on Windows.

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 32GB Flash Drive = Local Disk
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »
@Leslieann, If I understand what you're saying, I guess I'll try and see what happens. That is, if I understand :p

I couldn't get Ubuntu to format anything last week when I needed to clean multiple drives. Had to delete files on Windows.
You may have to use Linux to repartition it as well.  Basically run it through the wringer, then let Windows figure it out.