Author Topic: Discussion about the future  (Read 4269 times)

AnthonyCR

• Stabbing Art to Death
    • View Profile
Discussion about the future
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:46:43 PM »
So originally this was meant to be a light featured browser that was (inadvertantly) designed to compete with the Naked Browser. I say inadvertantly because I wasn't aware of naked browser's existence before making lightning browser, but as it turns out lightning browser is in the same category as naked.

However, due to the publicity on xda..... Thousands of people quickly downloaded it and assumed (because they didn't bother reading about the browser) that it was meant to compete with the likes of chrome, Firefox, and dolphin, which of course if was never meant to be. In order to keep up with demand I've added a few more necessary features to make it more pleasing.

But... Now the browser is stuck in the middle. If I continue to add features to appease the masses, I completely miss the point of the browser in the first place (and its goal) and if I keep it sooo simple, I lose out on 75% of the browser user-base. I need to bridge both gaps with a simple and a full featured.

Now... I currently have a free version and a paid version. I think where the paid version is at is where I want the simple version to be at. However, I don't want the simple version to cost money.

So I'm thinking maybe make a third version as the simplest one and open source it, while continuing to build up the current free and paid versions.

Whatcha think

tvall

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • a site
Re: Discussion about the future
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
This is what I would do if it was my browser and I knew Java:

Use the current paid version as a master branch and open source it. Its perfect as is. (Although the ui could be better for phones. But if it adds too much code. Its not really needed). Let your friend tvall maintain the git repo, he would enjoy it. Keep improving on this version while maintaining its original goal. If you hit .35mb, you did something wrong.

Paid version. Open source would be nice. 99.9% of your users won't ever look at the code, and those that do might contribute. Here you add tons of features and compete with other browsers. Try to keep it slim-ish and fast, as much as you can. If it not open source, share the code with your friend tvall. He would have fun with it.

Then you have to deal with licensing your code. You could go with the GPL. then others can't redistribute modified versions without also releasing source for their changes. But if your paid version isn't open, you have to make sure you don't violate your own license with it. I'll look up specifics later. Or, you could use a permissive license such as the BSD license. I personally prefer it. You can't get much more free than a license that tells you to include the original copyright notice and a warning about it being provided AS-IS. (Well there is the beerware license and the wtf public license, but they're weird).
If you'd like to donate to me, i accept bitcoins and hardware :)
BTC - 1titsVyrUw8pGEDF6Jqdh56cZjBRYAQjQ

AnthonyCR

• Stabbing Art to Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
So I followed you up to the licensing :o that completely threw me.

So what I think I should do is (make three versions):
1. Take the paid version source code and make a new free slim version equal to what it is currently (with no more features only performance improvements) open source this
2. Keep the current free version as the free bloat-browser and build onto that (put some limitations only unlocked on the paid version)
3. Make the paid version bloaty (and fast) and try to build a browser to compete with the big guys (you suggest open sourcing this)

I definitely would need some help with maintaining a github account, I have one but never used it because it's to confusing lol.

I'd like the tiny free version to be open source contributable if that makes sense (people other than me can add to the source code and/or distribute it).

I'd like to make the paid version open source so that people (like you tvall) can look at the code as a reference (but not compile and distribute it if there's a license like that). I also don't want people contributing to this branch because I'd be making money off other people's code... Which is just wrong IMO.

I wouldn't do anything with the free bloat version as it would be the same as the paid with a few values changed and a few lines commented out.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:25:47 PM by AnthonyCR »

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
But... Now the browser is stuck in the middle. If I continue to add features to appease the masses, I completely miss the point of the browser in the first place (and its goal) and if I keep it sooo simple, I lose out on 75% of the browser user-base. I need to bridge both gaps with a simple and a full featured.

In order to gain that 75%, you also become just another browser competing for that 75%. If people want Chrome or Firefox, let them use Chrome or Firefox, leave the big boys to fight over the masses. How much of their pie do you really think you can capture?

Keep it unique and different, and keep your niche and loyal users.

lordmage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »

In order to gain that 75%, you also become just another browser competing for that 75%. If people want Chrome or Firefox, let them use Chrome or Firefox, leave the big boys to fight over the masses. How much of their pie do you really think you can capture?

amen

AnthonyCR

• Stabbing Art to Death
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Discussion about the future
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:30:02 AM »

Very true. It's not like I'm gonna turn masses of people away from the big names.

Maybe it'd be better to try to keep adding stuff, but if it starts to add size then I'll stop. I've noticed each java method I add only adds about 1 KB. The other problem is is that I need to completely recode the main portion of the browser because it technically only half supports holo. I need to redesign it using the actual android action bar.

cammykool

• Developer
  • Resident idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
Its crazy what 1 idea can do

[nonexistant One V userbar here]

tvall

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • a site
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »
hey anthony, this look good for the git repo? http://tvall43.no-ip.org/gitweb/?p=acr/lightning.git;a=summary (the tree link takes you to the source tree)

that's hosted at my home. I'll move it to github with the real code if you approve. the source code in there right now is junk. I could try harder to decompile, but it ain't worth the effort

right now, I have a bsd license in the free repo as a placeholder and I wrote a simple restrictive one for the paid branch.
If you'd like to donate to me, i accept bitcoins and hardware :)
BTC - 1titsVyrUw8pGEDF6Jqdh56cZjBRYAQjQ

AnthonyCR

• Stabbing Art to Death
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Discussion about the future
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Its crazy what 1 idea can do

Yes, Cammy you had a great idea. Thanks.:-*

hey anthony, this look good for the git repo? http://tvall43.no-ip.org/gitweb/?p=acr/lightning.git;a=summary (the tree link takes you to the source tree)

that's hosted at my home. I'll move it to github with the real code if you approve. the source code in there right now is junk. I could try harder to decompile, but it ain't worth the effort

right now, I have a bsd license in the free repo as a placeholder and I wrote a simple restrictive one for the paid branch.

That looks great. First I'm going to try to figure out github myself and if I succeed I can upload the source that way, and if I can't then I'll just send it to you to work with.

AnthonyCR

• Stabbing Art to Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
Advice? Concerns?

When you search private browser, duckduckgo is the second search engine to come up. I'm considering adding it as a private search alternative to Google, however, idk about this offer being made to me. I suppose it's legit but I mean who knows.

If anyone has any advice speak up.

For the free version I'm thinking I'll offer this search engine or Google and for the paid version I'll add bing and yahoo too and anything else anyone wants.

I'd use startpage as a search engine, but since that basically takes your query and runs it through Google, I can't use it in my browser.

lordmage

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:57:04 AM »
free version i say they get it they way you set it(duckgo or other)... paid version should have the choice.
personally i use google or bing thats it.