Author Topic: The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread  (Read 73103 times)

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
I did s-off just prior, so maybe something in that process is to blame.  If I could do it over, I would reinstall Harmonia between s-off and this update.
Sorry about the loops, none of us doing initial testing had those issues, but then, we are also running roms, so installing Harmonia or Midnight after going s-off may be the best bet.

I will add this as a suggestion in the OP.

Thanks Leslie Ann for helping pull this off and bringing it to the community!  I spent the last hour streaming music around my neighborhood which is at best a marginal Sprint area, and where voice & data dropouts are the norm.  I can't say for sure if the phone is getting more 'bars', but the connection is definitely more solid.  It was holding onto 3g where the phone would normally slip down to 1xRTT (2g), even when there were visually 'no bars', streaming away not missing a beat!
You're welcome.
Your signal is probably better, but not enough for another bar. Still, who cares how many bars if it's working, which is always the most important part.

chadilac462

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
I got up to step 5 in the prl update and am a little lost.  can someone explain this a little better.  when i click on add new port i'm not sure what i'm supposed to enter.

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
I got up to step 5 in the prl update and am a little lost.  can someone explain this a little better.  when i click on add new port i'm not sure what i'm supposed to enter.
It should find your phone, but if not, check Device Manager  (look in ports) and see where the phone shows up.

chadilac462

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
It should find your phone, but if not, check Device Manager  (look in ports) and see where the phone shows up.
it doesn't seem to find my phone and if I open the Device Manager I don't see anything named "ports".  I have usb debugging off, and tried connecting my phone in both disk drive and charge only modes.  This is unfamiliar territory for me, and I'm not sure what "ports" are.  Does this term refer to which drive the phone is hooked up to (i.e. D:/)?  Do I have to have my phone connected in a different manner?  sorry for all the questions but I'm stumped because the rest of this was so easy and I'm thinking this probable is too and I'm just missing something right in front of my face.  Thanks for your help.  :)

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
Make sure you have the diagnostic drivers installed.

chadilac462

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:47 AM »
When I open the device manager, my phone shows up under "portable devices".  I tried to install the htc diag drivers but it says I already have the latest drivers.  When following instructions for installing the diag drivers on xda, i don't get the "other devices" folder in the device manager like it shows. When I dial the number, the phone shows a diagram with "Rx0" and "Tx0".  It's just that the nothing shows up when i click "add new port" in QPST.  Do I have to manual type something in here?

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:38 AM »
It should show up in a few places, but it needs to be in ports.

chadilac462

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
It should show up in a few places, but it needs to be in ports.
I don't even have a heading that says "ports" so I must not have the htc diag driver.  I'll have to get that hammered out.  Thanks for all your help.

Krobar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
When I open the device manager, my phone shows up under "portable devices".  I tried to install the htc diag drivers but it says I already have the latest drivers.  When following instructions for installing the diag drivers on xda, i don't get the "other devices" folder in the device manager like it shows. When I dial the number, the phone shows a diagram with "Rx0" and "Tx0".  It's just that the nothing shows up when i click "add new port" in QPST.  Do I have to manual type something in here?

I had to untick "show serial and usb/qc diagnostic ports only" on the add new port box in order for anything to show up.

chadilac462

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »

I had to untick "show serial and usb/qc diagnostic ports only" on the add new port box in order for anything to show up.

Thanks for your advice.  I finally got it to work.  Hopefully nobody is intimidated to try this based on my initial failures.  Guess it was just one of those things you have to give up on and come back to later with a clear head.  Looking forward to testing out these updates today.  Thanks again to LA and the other devs who put their time and energy into making our phones better!

Bigtuna00

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
What's the risk with this vs. Virgin Mobile?

jehowe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
What's the risk with this vs. Virgin Mobile?
Shouldn't be any risk with VM.  It's not like the update tries to spoof it's ID or circumvent VM's QoS on Sprint's network.

tbone22

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
just wondering,
is the MeanRom considered to be a "stock" rom? It is based on Sense 3.6 so I think yes but just wanted to make sure. I'm planning to install s-off and follow this fix. the sms errors are really starting to get annoying.

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
It probably is, since it is Sense.

withp

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
I'm having the problem chadilac462 had (briefly?) where diagnostic drivers don't want to install and the device manager doesn't show other devices (and thus QPST wont talk to the phone).
Are they supposed to just be automatically installed most of the time or was installing them part of one of the routes to root/s-off?