Author Topic: USB OTG - connect keyboards, mice, thumbstics, etc...  (Read 14313 times)

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: USB OTG - connect keyboards, mice, thumbstics, etc...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
Is your cable powered? or just a simple cable? It MUST be powered and it sounds like you do have the right one.

Some people have said they don't even need Stickmount, and a usb mouse should work without anything.

Did you create the "usb" folder on your SDcard? You have to do that manually, and it must be lower case.
Do that, restart, then plug in your stick and check that folder. If the stick connected through Harmonia, you should see it in that folder.

I can't find my OITG cable, but I think Stickmount mounts it as another drive itself, similar to to the scdard. Not all file browsers can see it.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »
Is your cable powered? or just a simple cable? It MUST be powered and it sounds like you do have the right one.

Some people have said they don't even need Stickmount, and a usb mouse should work without anything.

Did you create the "usb" folder on your SDcard? You have to do that manually, and it must be lower case.
Do that, restart, then plug in your stick and check that folder. If the stick connected through Harmonia, you should see it in that folder.

I can't find my OITG cable, but I think Stickmount mounts it as another drive itself, similar to to the scdard. Not all file browsers can see it.

LeslieAnn,

Yes, I suppose I have a properly functioning power host cable.  When I plug in the extra USB connector to either the A/C plug or another PC, the light flashes on the thumbstick temporarily, and goes away after that.  I still have Root.  Is Stickmount supposed to be listed in the SuperSu page?  Mine is not.

I created a 'usb' folder on the thumbstick and on the phone SD card, because it wasn't specified which SD card.  I have restarted several times.  I tried a keyboard, mouse, and thumbstick with no joy using Harmonia 3.17 w/o Anthrax.

Thanks,

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
no joy using Harmonia 3.17 w/o Anthrax.
You have to use a kernel that supports OTG.
The kernel provided, and the stock kernel do not support it.

Stickmount, I can't find my OTG cable, so I can't verify if it needs SU, but, there is a mount button in Stickmount. Try that while using a ITG capable kernel.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
LeslieAnn,

I flashed the  Mirage 3.0.72 kernel this morning using the Flash Image GUI.  Stickmount does a screensplash when I reboot, but does not mount anything when I try.  Also, Stickmount is not in the SuperSU list.  Do I need SuperSU Pro?  The Play Store message says that my device is not compatible with SuperSu Pro. 

I deleted SuperSu once and then tried to reload it, and Play Store would not allow it.  I had to reflash Harmonia 3.17.

This Mirage kernel is supposed to support OTG.  I've tried several USB thumbsticks and 2 keyboards; The power USB host cable lights up the thumbstick temporarily.  The ES File Explorer says that the usb folder is empty.  Somehow there is a folder named UsbOtgDrives on my SD card.

I still cannot get OTG to work properly.

It seems like one has to be a member of the Seal Team to get a copy of an Anthrax Kernel, I do not know where else to turn for an OTG kernel.  I have searched for weeks using several search engines.

Thanks for your time & effort,

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »
This Mirage kernel is supposed to support OTG.  I've tried several USB thumbsticks and 2 keyboards; The power USB host cable lights up the thumbstick temporarily.  The ES File Explorer says that the usb folder is empty.  Somehow there is a folder named UsbOtgDrives on my SD card.
Mirage OTG has yet to be tested as far as I know.

Lookup Buttered Toast kernel, it's based on Anthrax and therefore should work.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
Mirage OTG has yet to be tested as far as I know.

Lookup Buttered Toast kernel, it's based on Anthrax and therefore should work.

LeslieAnn,

I flashed Buttered Toast kernel and it worked.  I'm a happy camper, and thanks for being patient and the continued responses that helped me find success.

You wear the crown!

Thanks,

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 05:01:07 AM »
Glad you got it. Congrats!

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Glad you got it. Congrats!

As a follow up for those considering the same thing:
Although I can use the OTG function, I cannot UNMOUNT the USB thumbstick properly and receive a warning every time I remove it.  I also have to RESTART because there is no menu selection to unmount the device.  Stickmount shows on booting and if it is opened to MOUNT the USB thumbstick, but it does not UNMOUNT or EJECT it when you finished with it.  Sometimes other apps will fail when the USB thumbstick is removed, causing me to have to RESTART.

Somehow I believe that the Stickmount app in Harmonia 3.17 is incompatible with this phone.  I previously UNINSTALLED Stickmount app and Play Store would not allow me to install it by saying that it was incompatible with my phone.  I had to reflash Harmonia 3.17 to get it back on my phone.  I think that I might UNINSTALL it again and INSTALL the Root OTG Helper app.  Just considering.

ldjohn55
HTC EVO V 4G
Harmonia 3.17
S-OFF
Buttered Toast Kernel 3.0.71-ck1-butteredtoast-ics-RLS17.2+

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »
Try removing Stickmount, and see if you even need it, some have said you don't.

I have yet to be able to test this yet, but I think what may have happened is that I built in the OTG, and then added Stickmount, thinking it was needed. What I think is now happening is that Stickmount isn't being used (hence why you can't unmmount), it's just the rom mounting it, and it doesn't know how to unmount. Keep in mind, this is just speculation, I lost my OTG cable, and haven't tested it, but that's the idea I get reading other peoples comments about the problem.

My thoughts on the whole thing is that OTG is still very much in it's infancy. However for phones to really grow and expand, that needs to change. Same with them only using USB 2.0.

Also, copy Stickmount to your SDcard, this way you can put it back in later if needed. Or, you can use an app to extract it from the rom zip file. No need to re-install just to get it.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »
I tried to run an App called Waze to help me with the morning commute and the phone froze up.

I have reflashed Harmonia 3.17 and the Buttered Toast kernel and I get hung up at the Harmonia screen each time.

Do I have to do a Factory Reset?

Thanks,

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
I tried to run an App called Waze to help me with the morning commute and the phone froze up.

I have reflashed Harmonia 3.17 and the Buttered Toast kernel and I get hung up at the Harmonia screen each time.

Do I have to do a Factory Reset?

Thanks,
Do it from recovery.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »
OK, I hope you mean for me to do the Factory Reset from the Recovery Mode.

I'll do it right now.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
I continue this thread because it might be linked to the OTG and using the Stickmount and Buttered Toast kernel.

I did the Factory Reset in Recovery.
I continue to get hung up at the Harmonia boot screen.
When I looked at the Bootloader sequence, it said that it couldn't find the PG86IMG files (probably the ones that I loaded during the "fix everything..." period.  I tried to download them again and they are not there.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

LeslieAnn

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
Yes, I meant reset from recovery, never, EVER do it from inside a rom.
The missing pc86... files, if you go into bootloader, it always scans for the files. If it finds one, it flashes it. So if it says none found, that is fine unless you want it to find one.

Based on where you are getting hung up, usually that means something has corrupted the Framework files. A re-flash is in order. Not sure why Waze would have caused it though.

I would reinstall Harmonia, full wipe, then Buttered Toast, and then add Waze, one part at a time and keep seeing if it boots in between each. if you get through all 3, then put the rest back.

ldjohn55

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »
LeslieAnn,

It worked!  I was afraid that it was no good because it took such a long time for the Harmonia ROM to load.  I uninstalled 'Stickmount' and loaded Buttered Toast kernel, and Waze.

Buy your favorite libation with the token of gratitude.

Thanks,