Author Topic: Trying to get from MG5 to ND4  (Read 13869 times)

Nick_73

• Victory Rom and CM10 developer for Galaxy Victory
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get from MG5 to ND4
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »

You cannot use the deodexed version. It has to be odexed and no system items deleted.
Can you provide a link to one I can't find a odexed one.
Here is mg5 stock ROM from mooknightus http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=801.msg14059.msg#14059
So I should be able to install the mg5 to nd4 update after I install this rom?
I am inclined to say no, because in my own experience the MG5 made by moonknightus didn't have the virgin mobile boot animation. Everything has to be exactly stock. Here is what worked for me. This file is one I compiled from the MG5  TWRP backup that worked for me, the noprops ND4 update, and instructions on how to get it all working. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6of-6CDnr-5OHV1Z3Q5UXpIOXM/edit?usp=sharing
your method worked perfectly I have been stuck on mg5 for days now, THANK YOU!!!

You are welcome Sir!  Yeah, not sure why it worked for Nick and not for me, but I tried moom's backup 6 ways from sunday and didn't get it to update. My method involved flashing back to my old MC1 backup from when I first got the phone, updating noprops mc1 to MG5, then making the backup that I shared, and flashing nick's noprops afterward.

Glad it helped. Once I hear back from Victorian, if it works there as well I will make a post about it for anyone having problems updating.
Well my phone seems weird compared to everyone's :/ lol but there's always a way to get things to work. Btw  Victorian said he's finally on ND4 thx to ur method. I wanna get a EVERYTHING ROOT section added so the kernel, modem, and ur stuff can be put there. Also, u could add a tut in the how to section on how to get to ND4 for those having issues.

Hey Nick, I added an edit to my last post and I'm curious about the answer. Did you use madbat's ND4 modem through odin to get you to the ND4 baseband?

I will gladly share what I can about making the process easier. Also, I hope to have a kernel build posted soon, but my environment was all messed up and I think I figured it all out and am ready to build but I wont know for sure until I get home this evening.

I took madbats modem and put it in a zip file. 3.0.1 is the file and u cab get it from my ROM page. I updated my baseband to ND4. I'm gonna try and make a Odin stock ROM that includes baseband and everything.

also, good luck on ur kernel. I'm too much of a noob to kernels to get it to work. I'm on Mint and the tutorials are outdated or wrong and the instructions that come from source don't work for me.
also, do u know what is making my phone get hot when I play small apps often? thx

Madbat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
Now that you guys mention that you can't update after moon's mg5 zip, I remembered I used a bone stock mg5 backup that I had on my computer. I can probably upload it when I get home. Not sure where I'll upload it to yet because box won't let you ul files over 200 MB. I guess I can use google drive if I can figure out how to grant permission in general withou having to give each person permission individually.

insanelycool

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
Now that you guys mention that you can't update after moon's mg5 zip, I remembered I used a bone stock mg5 backup that I had on my computer. I can probably upload it when I get home. Not sure where I'll upload it to yet because box won't let you ul files over 200 MB. I guess I can use google drive if I can figure out how to grant permission in general withou having to give each person permission individually.

I just used google drive for my files, you can set the permission to public and just share the link :)

insanelycool

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

also, good luck on ur kernel. I'm too much of a noob to kernels to get it to work. I'm on Mint and the tutorials are outdated or wrong and the instructions that come from source don't work for me.
also, do u know what is making my phone get hot when I play small apps often? thx

Not sure about the apps making your phone hot (is there an app in particular?), but I can relate on the kernel building thing. I'm trying to get back into it after not compiling one for over a year. I think I figured out what I need to do in order to get it running (still testing). I think all the instructions are outdated, but I'm putting pieces together and testing until it works...lol.
Maybe I can write up an updated tutorial once I verify its working and do another fresh VM from scratch to be 100% sure I have all the steps right. I think it gets confusing due to all the versions of the tools out there, and needing the proper versions (not necessarily the newest ones).

Madbat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
here is my mg5 stock backup https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7FbX6-171skclBLaGVNSFBVbEU&usp=sharing
hope it helps someone, anyone lol

mikenrm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
can u help me fix my galaxy victory . thought i bricked it but i didnt . just completely fucked it up. its virgin mobile . flashed a rom and it was stuck in odin mode or if i went to recovery mode it would say erro upgrading firmware connect to kies . coundnt connect to kies . flashed another rom using odin now it goes into recovery mode bad thing is i boot it up and its sprint and wont go past the logo ???

Madbat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 05:09:14 AM »
can u help me fix my galaxy victory . thought i bricked it but i didnt . just completely fucked it up. its virgin mobile . flashed a rom and it was stuck in odin mode or if i went to recovery mode it would say erro upgrading firmware connect to kies . coundnt connect to kies . flashed another rom using odin now it goes into recovery mode bad thing is i boot it up and its sprint and wont go past the logo ???
need more info. What ROM did you flash first? Sounds like you wiped your system and flashed nothing. and what did you flash in Odin? There are no Odin flashable Roms for the virgin mobile victory. do you remember what build you were on? for the victory we typically go by the the last 3 characters in the build (mg5, nd4, etc) since its the only thing that changes build to build. if can use Odin you can flash twrp recovery and try restoring a stock backup through twrp.

Nick_73

• Victory Rom and CM10 developer for Galaxy Victory
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »
Sounds like u attempted to flash r Sprint variation of this phone onto ur VM phone- which is a big no no. Every time someone tries that there's problems. When I have time I'll build a VM Odin file for this phone

bob-st

• Boost and Virgin Mobile S3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
You cannot use the deodexed version. It has to be odexed and no system items deleted.
Can you provide a link to one I can't find a odexed one.
Here is mg5 stock ROM from mooknightus http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=801.msg14059.msg#14059
So I should be able to install the mg5 to nd4 update after I install this rom?
I am inclined to say no, because in my own experience the MG5 made by moonknightus didn't have the virgin mobile boot animation. Everything has to be exactly stock. Here is what worked for me. This file is one I compiled from the MG5  TWRP backup that worked for me, the noprops ND4 update, and instructions on how to get it all working. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6of-6CDnr-5OHV1Z3Q5UXpIOXM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for this!!! This upgrade from MG5 to ND4 has been kicking my A_SS for weeks.

This WORKED.

sfender

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 11:21:22 PM »
I have no idea what MD5 and ND4 refer to. More importantly I have no idea how to know which one my phone has.
So I don't want to flash a custom ROM in case it aborts due to phoen having the wrong version of whatever this is??!