Author Topic: InsanelyCool Kernel 1.9-2.2GHz! (Max Speed by Chip --Binning Version 9-3-2014)  (Read 30363 times)

jpl327

• View Profile
Re: InsanelyCool Kernel 2.1GHz! --Performance-OC-UV--(7-6-2014)
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »
The upgrade to InsanelyCool Kernel was quick and painless, I have a question though: Previously I was using Performance Control, Seeder and Greenify as described in the "How to get the most battery life" tutorial by Nick 73. Will those settings interfere with the performance of the InsanelyCool Kernel? How can I verify I am running IC Kernel with its default settings, or is everything ok as is?
It should not interfere, just adjust ur kernel settings in Performance control. The kernel gives u more options so u can choose more governors or frequencies depending on ur needs.
I'm still at 918 max in performance control, I can go up to 2.1Ghz max on the slider, but then what about the changes I made with Greenify and Seeder? What would be the preferred settings for this kernel? I know I can change them, but to what specific values? I'll check my binning later to verify my chip characteristics. Assuming that battery use is under control with this kernel then I shouldn't need to use the "get the most battery life" settings any more.

insanelycool

• View Profile
Re: InsanelyCool Kernel 2.1GHz! --Performance-OC-UV--(7-6-2014)
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
If you are on the binning test version (the latest release as of writing this), and you are seeing 2.1Ghz as your max frequency, then you have a 'fast' binned chip.
'slow' would be 1.9Ghz, 'nominal' is 2Ghz, and 'f3' is 2.2Ghz.

As far as settings go, they are really subjective. This phone was never great on battery for me, but I also run a lot of stuff and keep it connected all the time. Greenify type apps can be great for preventing things from running, but only if you don't want notifications and push from them. I used to run battery defender type apps but then I realized that I like using my phone for the full range of things, especially being notified when something is going on. Best thing to do is follow good battery practices. Charge it when you can, never let it go below about 40% if you can help it, and keep a couple spare batteries and an external charger. External charger and spare batteries are the best because you will never need to plug in your phone again unless you just need to charge 2 batteries at once for a trip.

Edit: Also, theoretically this kernel will use more battery and less battery.... due to various changes of voltage control, adaptive voltage scaling, and of course the increased voltages from those extra frequencies we can use now. The thing is, it still isn't a lot of battery drain, most of the drain will still be on the display (which I do not know of any way to minimize the effect of the display).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:20:11 PM by insanelycool »

Nick_73

• Victory Rom and CM10 developer for Galaxy Victory
  • Developer
    • View Profile
So I'm using binning test 1. My Max is 1900ish mhz. That means I have a slow chip?
Also I'm at 3800 mV. What's the stock voltage?

insanelycool

• View Profile
So I'm using binning test 1. My Max is 1900ish mhz. That means I have a slow chip?
Also I'm at 3800 mV. What's the stock voltage?

Yes 1.9Ghz means your chip is binned as slow. As for the voltage you are quoting, I looked into that app and it appears that voltage it is reporting is the voltage of the battery itself and not the actual voltage being given to the processor. I'm looking into it further but the highest frequency for each binning is operating at around 1300 mV (1.3v; which means that at the fastest processor speed there are still 2.5v left for the radios and display).

Edit: Yes the voltage you are referring to is just the voltage the battery is operating at. You can tell this by looking at it while charging vs not charging (where charging the battery will bring that number over 4000mV).
So 3.8v is the max rated for the battery and that is the number you are seeing in that app (kind of useless info really, except that you can see how much extra you get while charging it!)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:37:06 PM by insanelycool »

chilz

• View Profile
can i use this kernal on the sprint firmware and rom im still on vm and everything works including fixing my baseband that was borked

insanelycool

• View Profile
can i use this kernal on the sprint firmware and rom im still on vm and everything works including fixing my baseband that was borked

You can give it a try and report back! Just make sure you have a sprint kernel ready just in case.

chilz

• View Profile
lots of fc the UI crashes and then locks the phone up and off topic since this new ota for sprint works with vm can that help devs with cm 10.2